Filed In: Beauty
Calling all makeup lovers and beauty gurus! This is perfect for the people who love watching Youtube tutorials and feel like they’re best friends with Jaclyn Hill. I’ve rounded up the best beauty gift ideas including everything from trendy charcoal masks to the best curling iron! Sephora and Ulta are having amazing sales right now, so it’s the perfect time to shop for your favorite beauty-lovin’ friends and family! I’ve only shared a few makeup blog posts in the past (here and here) so this was definitely a fun one. My Clarisonic post is always a favorite, so I made sure to include my favorite product for skincare in this guide, too! Get ready to send this post to your boyfriends, ladies. Or feel free to pin this for later. Check out my best beauty gift ideas below!
Confession: I sweat. Like, a lot. You’d think living in the South my entire life (or you know, being Nigerian) my body would somehow adapt. But alas, I never have. I’ve always struggled with my makeup lasting all day and surviving the intense heat and humidity! So, if you’re like me you’re hoping to upgrade your summer makeup bag to something that can pack a punch when it comes to long-lasting products, I wrote this for you in mind!
I try not to use as much makeup in the summer, so that’s the inspiration behind a lot of the products featured. After researching countless YouTube videos and doing my own product reviews, here are a few of my faves! I’ve come a long way since getting friends to help me with my makeup, but I am in NO way an expert. Here are my summer makeup bag essentials that have taken me through the good, the bad, and the sweaty.
For a subtle glow without going full face, opt for a nice bronzer or highlighter! People will mistake your flawless cheekbones for the sun.
If you want your makeup to last all day, a good setting powder is MAJOR key. Use this on top of your concealer or on your smile lines to prevent creases. This one by Sasha is great because it was made by women in the Caribbean. It can definitely handle the heat! This one by Laura Mercier is also a crowd favorite.
I first heard about this foundation from Jackie Aina (aka my makeup goals guru) on Youtube and it’s definitely worth the price! Their shade range is unbeatable and the formula is somehow lightweight while providing full coverage. If you want a foundation that lasts all day (even through intense humidity) you’ll want to check this out.
I recently tried the blue, Great Lash Mascara and it was so fun! It’s perfect for festivals and beach getaways this summer.
Like I said, I sweat like crazy. I don’t need my pores being clogged more than they are! Micellar water has seriously helped my skin SO much. I immediately saw a difference when using it to remove my makeup. A few swipes of this before I use my Clarisonic and my skin has never been better.
Lock that makeup in! The full bottle is $30, but you can’t put a price on sweatproof perfection. The good news is that the full size lasted me a solid 2-3 months!
A quick application of this ABH gloss and it instantly brightens your face. It’s not too sticky and it’s just what you need if you’re going for a minimal look.
This formula is so full coverage, you could use it without foundation!
If you’re trying to keep your makeup on all day and you’re not using primer, what’re you doing?! I used to think primer was a myth but after trying both, I know that it’s essential. This Becca primer also illuminates your skin so it’s a win-win!
Sunburns aren’t cute. Get in the habit of wearing sunscreen every day! Your skin will thank you 20 years from now.
I seriously don’t know what I did for mascara before this! My short stubby lashes look like beautiful wisps after just one pass. Even better? The best-selling product just came out with a waterproof version. Perfect for summer by the pool!
It has pretty much all of your standard brushes if you’re building your first makeup bag. Plus, it’s only $10!!! What? I was actually really surprised by the quality considering the price, so they’re definitely a great find!
SHOP THE POST:
Let me know if you’re a fan of any of these products! I could gush about these finds anytime. Do you have a summer makeup bag suggestion? Let me know below!
You’ve seen it in magazines or maybe one of Kourtney Kardashian’s Instagram posts, but what IS a Clarisonic?! The Clarisonic is a sonic cleansing brush that gently removes excess dirt, oil, and dead skin. Trust me, that washcloth is not doing the trick. My skin type is a combination of oily + dry which can make it difficult to find products that work. Your closet isn’t the only thing you should transition from summer to fall! Why should your skincare routine differ season to season? Here are a few reasons:
- With higher temperatures in the summer, your skin is almost guaranteed to produce more oil and sweat (your Clarisonic will definitely be working overtime). The main goal is to not clog your pores even further and use lighter products than usual.
- Additionally, you probably treat your skin to a few more days in the sun when it’s warmer outside. You can go ahead and switch that SPF 50 to something lighter once you stop spending as much time at the beach or by the pool.
- In the fall and winter months, I always notice my skin is dramatically drier. Try substituting your face wash to something more soothing and couple it with plenty of moisturizers to get the job done.
My Morning Skincare Routine
- After wetting my face, I apply a nickel-size of cleanser to my Clarisonic.
- I gently scrub away the dirt and oil from my face. *Even if you washed your face the night before, don’t be lazy with this part! *
- Then, I blot dry my face with a clean towel (separate from the one I use for the rest of my body).
- Next, I like to apply toner to my entire face but focus on my t-zone to help minimize pores.
- Do you have trouble looking bright and cheery in the morning ( aka me before every 8AM class)? Apply vitamin serum by Obagi to brighten up your face and balance out any hyperpigmentation!
- I moisturize my face with this best-selling product by Eminence. It smells wonderful and all of their products are 100% organic!
- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS put sunscreen on! It doesn’t matter if it’s the dead of winter, it should always be the last step of your skincare routine!
- Smile, cause your face is lookin’ so fresh and so clean!
*Disclaimer for all skincare reviews (not just mine with Clarisonic). Everyone has different skin, even family members. What works best for me, might not be the best fit for you. With that being said, the Clarisonic Mia has been the best gift my skin could have asked for. I immediately saw the difference in my t-zone, pore size, and congestion within the first week. I’ve made sure to pack it for my recent blogging events and trips to make sure my skin is camera ready! Still not convinced? The best way to test and see the difference is when you remove makeup. I never knew how much foundation I was leaving behind until I used the mia!
My beauty routine runs like clockwork and it’s very important to me. Growing up with a physician who works in anti-aging medicine and skin care, I probably know more about cell turnover rate and Botox than the average woman. Thankfully, this has allowed me to play around and find the best products for healthy skin and the Clarisonic is a clear winner. No matter the season, I ALWAYS use my Clarisonic twice a day!
I’m always on the hunt for the best beauty products, so feel free to share your holy grail items below!
This post is sponsored by Clarisonic and Her Campus Media. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make GoodTomiCha possible!