Makeup has always been a completely foreign concept to me. It wasn’t until senior year of high school that I even trusted myself with eyeliner. But as I discovered the land of YouTube Makeup Gurus (If you don’t know who Jackie Aina is, you should!) I slowly began to understand the difference between highlighter and bronzer and why you can justify spending $50 on eye shadow. For this post, I’ve teamed up with a good friend and local makeup artist, Hannah Henderson! I harass her about tips and tricks to contour my face to Kardashian status on the daily, so she was probably relieved when I asked her something different for once! Hannah’s worked on the set of music videos and video production for a while now, so I knew she was the right person for the job. Read below to find out Hannah’s makeup ideas for your next date night!
1: The basic first step when it comes to applying makeup is something that even I try to skip sometimes but is SUPER important! Washing and moisturizing your face before application, it DOES make a HUGE difference. (It helps with breakouts too!) A couple of my favorite options are the Philosophy Purity Face Wash and RCMA Pre Foundation Moisture Lotion.
- Second, I apply a primer all over the face. They make tons of different primers for every skin type, but for Tomi I used the Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector since she has oily skin. I PAT this primer on areas where she tends to get oily the quickest. For drier skin, I recommend the Becca Backlight Priming Filter.
- Apply your favorite foundation, for Tomi I used a single pump of the Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Crème in the shade Cacao. I buff this into the skin starting in the middle and working my way out.
- Apply your favorite concealer; I used Becca Ultimate Coverage Concealing Crème in the shade Chestnut. I concealed the under eye area and just on any more areas that needed touching up.
- To keep everything in place I set everything with a translucent powder! I used my tried and true Laura Mercier powder!
- I used the Laura Mercier Eye Basics in the shade Cotton to prime the eyes for shadow.
- I went in with my Becca Ombre Nudes eyeshadow palette to create the majority of this eye look, I started with the lighter browns and blended those in the crease as a transition shade. Then I went on to the darker browns for the outer corner shade, for this I only use a little at a time because it is easy to add but very difficult to take away! The main key to this is blending!! I start with windshield wiper motions and then go in with small circular motions to really buff everything out to make sure there are no harsh lines.
- For the lid color Tomi and I decided on Makeup Geek’s In the Spotlight, but you can pick any lid shade that you want since the browns are very neutral you can make it your own! I just packed the shadow on all over the lid making sure to pat towards the outer corner, to keep the outer corner color dark.
- Eyeliner, they make TONS of different formulas now! I used a gel formula on Tomi to have better control and to keep the line thin; my FAVORITE is the Inglot Gel Liner. This is an optional step, but if you want to really make it more dramatic you can do a winged liner or for more natural no liner at all.
- For mascara we used Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes and we did just a quick coat and put on some Ardell Demi Whispies to really make this look super girly and flirty. If you don’t want to do false lashes, add some extra coats of your favorite mascara!
- Even on no-makeup makeup days I WILL NOT skip this step: eyebrows! I used the Becca Shadow and Light Brow Mousse in the shade Mocha! Tomi already has amazing eyebrows so I just filled in any sparse areas and shaped them where needed! I set this with my Anastasia Clear Brow Gel aka my brow glue because your brows will stay put all day long with this stuff!
- For blush, I used Becca Mineral Blush (best blushes EVER) in the shade Songbird on the apples of the cheeks. This is bright orange-pink blush that looks GORGEOUS on any skin tone!
- Another optional step: highlighter! To get that highlight bling (yes I went there) I used Becca Champagne Pop Shimmering Skin Perfector. This is my personal favorite step in the whole makeup process, I feel naked without it! I apply this on the high points of the face like the tops of the cheekbones, cupids bow, and down the bridge of the nose!
- For lipstick you can use any color that is calling your name this Valentine’s Day! Since we kept the eyes and the face neutral, this can allow you to use any lip color! I used Makeup For Ever Aqua Liner in C10 and Anastasia Liquid Lipstick in Craft on Tomi. Liquid lipstick is a newer formula that has hit the beauty industry; it delivers a pigmented and even application and wears all day (or night) long! Some people have a hard time getting their hands on a good liquid lipstick or they just don’t like the idea, an exact match to this color in a true lipstick form is MAC Fashion Revival lipstick. MAC is my go-to for lipstick and lip liner, they have my favorite formula!
What do you guys think of my final look? I’m in love with it! The best part about this is while it looks heavy duty, it only took 15 minutes! I’m always one to play on the safe side, so I’m glad Hannah challenged me to wear a bold lip that’s perfect for Valentine’s Day. Would you guys like more makeup tips? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading!